Spirochetes (Bakterias) when killed produce a strong inflammatory reaction in the patient: Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction. This is the reason why chronic lyme-patients under antibiotics get worse, even more than befor the antibiotic treatment for quite a long time until improvement starts. Lyme-patients say „I am herxing“.
Disclaimer: I was accused by some US Lyme society of „bragging and inflating my training and knowledge regarding Lyme ….. „.
I want to state her CLEARLY that I am NO LYME expert.
My presentation here is pure pubmed research of serious scientific studies. I may claim though that we are treating patients since about 20 years, most of the time successfully using homeopathy together with detox and biological medicine approach and simply have not been aware that this needs „special training“.
Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction is a strong release of cytokines in response to liberation of LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDES (LPS) from dying bacterias.
Inflammatory factors that are set free are
I have written a post „Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction revealed“ (only in german, but the pubmed-studies are visible)
This part is for professionals as it details molecular specificities:
Borrelia Burgdorferi does not contain LPS.
But: the important membran protein OspA and OspB are LIPOPROTEINS (LP).
It could be shown that these Borrelia LP induce the same reaction in the body as LPS (Review 2014).
also see Insert right.
For Patients and LLMD the exact molecular details are less important as the effect of some measure:
The treatment is Antibiotic against the bacteria, the problem is Inflammation upon killing bacterias and our goal is to reduce this reactive Inflammation.
I think I found some scientific founded strategies which I want to present here.
Borrelia-LP leads to identical reaction as the long known bacterial toxin Lipopolysaccharide:
LPS creates inflammatory response due to release of TNF-alpha and other cytokines.
How can one reduce this reaction, the release of TNF-Alpha ….. without suppressing immunosystem which is unwanted during treatment of the lyme disease?
I could identify several well known substances that could be used offlabel as neuro-protectors against LPS-Damage to reduce the BrainFag of Herxing just as extracerebral side effects of the LP/LPS – release during treatment.
Flavonoide are among my most favourite substances, as I see fantastic effects with my „Smoothie from Dr. Retzek„.
TNF-Alpha and inflammatory response via NF-KB are suppressable via Flavonoides.
For Lyme I couldnt find specific studies but you have many good studies regarding effectivity of Flavonoides for FMS and CFS (Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrom), where identical mechanisms of inflammation-stimuli are present – and maybe very often borreliosis is the real cause.
Lymies are most often unable to work and bleeded out financially. They need options to make highly bioavailable natural substances themselves.
here is the text copied from above link
I have been making my own liposmal vitamin C and wanted to share a new receipe which adds resveratrol and curcumin to an already potent cancer fighting weapon. This requires an ultrasonic cleaner (I use the iSonic Ultrasonic Cleaner model P4810 ~$90 on Amazon; I like it because it can be run for long periods of time without having to re-start it). Vitamin C (like Curcumin and Resve
ratrol) is very difficult for the body to absorb when taken orally. This is particularly true when Vitamin C is taken in large oral doses. Until the advent of Liposomal Vitamin C the only efficient method of getting therapeutic levels of Vitamin C into the blood stream was intravenously. This required administration and attendance by a physician or nurse practitioner.
Current studies indicate cancer patients can get more bang for the buck from properly prepared oral Liposomal Vitamin C than is available from the intravenous variety.
Industry is now producing Liposomal carriers for any number of supplements. Two of the more recent and effective are Liposomal Curcumin and Liposomal Resveratrol. Now you can make your own and save money in the process.
1. Using a glass or stainless steel sauce pan warm 1 ½ cups of distilled water to 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. In two 12 oz. or larger sealable jars place ½ cup (4 oz.) of the warmed distilled water in each.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of non-GMO soy lecithin (I use the Swansons brand and buy in bulk) to each jar. Seal jars and agitate each vigorously for 3 – 5 minutes. Set jars aside allowing the lecithin granules to soak up distilled water.
4. After soaking for two or more hours shake/agitate each jar vigorously (I use a hand blender) until smooth creamy lecithin solutions in each jar with no visible lecithin granules.
5. Place 10 grams Curcumin (3 1/3 level teaspoons) in one jar of lecithin solution, close jar tightly and agitate/shake aggressively for 3 – 5 minutes until Curcumin is in solution.
6. Place 3 grams Resveratrol (3 level teaspoons) in the 2nd jar of lecithin solution, close jar and agitate/shake aggressively for 3 – 5 minutes until Trans-Resveratrol is in solution.
7. Pour contents of both jars together into ultra-sonic cleaner and turn the unit on. Stir with straw through the first cycle. (Approximately 2 – 3 minutes.)
8. Start next ultrasonic cycle. When ultrasonic unit stops start again. Continue running cycles and stir occasionally while accomplishing the following.
9. Wash your sealable jars. Place two oz. of warm distilled water in each jar.
10. Add 1 Tablespoon prescription Vitamin C powder (I use the Perque brand) to 1st jar, seal and shake/agitate vigorously until Vitamin C is dissolved.
11. Dissolve 1 Heaping Tablespoon of Bob’s Red Mill Bicarbonate of Soda (Bob’s is Aluminum free) in 2nd jar, seal and shake / agitate vigorously until baking soda is dissolved.
12. While stirring the Vitamin C / distilled water solution very slowly pour/dribble the dissolved bicarbonate of soda/water mixture into the Vitamin C / distilled water solution. (Pour soda solution slowly as the resulting mixture will bubble. By pouring slowing and constantly stirring Vitamin C solution you will be able to mix the two without bubbling over.)
13. At the conclusion of mixing the bicarbonate of soda mixture into the Vitamin C mixture bubbling will cease. Pour the resulting total Vitamin C / Bicarbonate of Soda mix together into what was the Bicarbonate of Soda jar and swirl to dissolve any soda that may have settled out.
14. Pour the resulting Vitamin C / Bicarbonate of Soda mixture in ultrasonic unit with the Lecithin, Resveratrol, Curcumin mix.
15. Operate the ultrasonic cleaner for 4 additional cycles or 10 minutes. (I run the cleaner for 30 minutes, 3 runs of 10 min cycles)
16. Measure the pH of the resulting Liposomal combination. You are seeking a pH 7.25 – 7.50. . * Both Vitamin C and Resveratrol are acidic. If needed add very small amounts of addition soda to buffer resulting Liposomal to neutral.
I pour the finished product into a glass Patron Silver Tequila bottle and top with a cork and keep refrigerated take a shot in the morning and in the evening.
Each Tablespoon of this Liposomal Combination results in:
500 mg Vitamin C. Assuming 10 x efficacy the equivalent of 5 grams oral.
415 mg Curcumin. Assuming 10 x efficacy the equivalent of 4 grams oral.
125 mg Resveratrol. Assuming 20 x efficacy the equivalent of 2 1/2 grams oral.
All ingredients are noted for apoptosis (cancer killing) so approach the use with significant caution and common sense. Large doses could cause a severe herxhiemer reaction overwhelming your body’s ability to remove the resulting cancer die off.
The combination is more effective if blood levels are kept near constant. So dividing doses over time is a valid strategy.
in the following youtube Video ist the Liposomal mixture directly poured into the ultrasonic cleaner, which is severely wrong! The ascorbic acid dissolves chrome, iron and niccolum out of the steel. Always use a glass-container!
Cannabis works great for cancer patients.
Especially „low-dose-Cannabinoid“ could be helpfull. Following STudy from 2014 shows, that with Mini-Doses (0.004mg/kg) you can prevent successfully a Lipopolysaccharid-induced Brain/Nerv-Damage!
The study shows that through LPS at least 7 weeks lasting rise of the inflammatory encyme Cox2 will be induced in the brain of the test-mice which could be reduced via low-dose-Cannabinoids.
The study thus gives the example for the long lasting herxing / brainfag as well as the solution!
Incredible > 200 Studien show the influence of Cannabinoides on to inflammation triggered by bacterial cell membranes!
Studies covered following topics, I just always show recent study one as example
and many many more. I was astonised and excited about the therapeutic broadness of Cannabinoides, I can relate that with my expierence with THC in cancer patients.
Besides: for LDN in Lyme I have not found striking evidence! Anyone having positive expierience please send me an email or leave a comment here.
overwhelmingly many studies for Progesteron x Lipopolysaccharide, but looking closer all of them deal with pregnancy situations, especially infections in utero.
Still I could find good evidence to use progesterons well known neuroprotective effect against Herxing.
Lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory reaction is reduced massively when a good gut microflora is present. Searchterm finds 84 Studies .
Helpful germs are e.g.
and many more, all studies are clear: good gut microflora reduces markedly LPS induced inflammation
this simple and cheap cough medication is one of my favorite substances. It does a lot and I have written extensively about NAC.
Several Studies show, that LPS induced inflammatory reaction can be decreased strongly using NAC.
Also in utero the mothers NAC prevents damage of the embryo from LPS induced inflammation.
LPS induces in the brain of stressed rats up to 50% Nerv cell death in specific brain regions but not in unstressed animals (Studie 2011)
Pioglithazone is a diabetes medication with explizit helpful effect on nervs, this is why it is used off label in ALS. Searchterm
It has showend that SSRI-Antidepressiva reduce Inflammation in the brain. It is even concluded that e.g. endogenous depression might be a virus-induced brain inflammation and that the proven activity of SSRI antidepressiva is enabled via their anti-inflammatory effect.
Some studies show even effectiveness of SSRI on LPS induced brain inflammation
Neuro-Inflammation is a general mechanism leading to FATIGUE. Review 2015. Especially in such contex SSRI show their pronounced effectivity
very simple with dramatic health support regarding liver, cell-membran ……
A study shows that all rats pretreated with lecithin survived experimental SEPSIS (high runoff LPS + TNF-alpha + NFkB + other inflammatory cytokines and increased SOD = Antioxidative Encyme). Study 2004
Dear reader: I have used three days to search for better options against Herxheimer Reaction, for now that seems enough, we need to test these options now..
I have found many more studies for the SSRI but before I keep on searching I have to study my Horowitz.
HERXHEIMER and its treatment is just touched, I will stay close to this topic and especially include the big treasure of expierience of the Paracelsus-Clinic in Lustmühle / St. Gallen / CH (Dr. Thomas Rau), who treats Lyme successfully without antibiotics and with rather simple means.
These ideas have to be tested and further research has to be done, I am sure we will find a solution to the horrible herxing thing, I am sure that years long HERXing during Lyme – Treatment is no inevitable fate!
whatever helped you, dear reader – please write an detailled email or a comment!